Saturday, October 23, 2010

Young at heart, or a boring old fart?

'Baa-ram-ewe. Baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-eweeeeee.' Guess the film...


Yes, the answer is indeed the 1995 'blockbuster,' Babe. What a film eh? Who would ever have thought that Farmer Hoggett could teach the little porker how to gently herd Maa and her fellow comrades in and out of their pen. A delightful story with endearing characters that we cannot help but be drawn to. I am not ashamed to admit that Babe is up there amongst my favourite films. It is a classic in my eyes that never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Which got me to thinking about my favourite films. Sister Act. Home Alone. Shrek. Matilda. The Mighty Ducks. Indeed, none likely to receive complaints about their classification ratings. I would happily spend an evening in front of the telly watching any of the above. Is it wrong that I am 22 and can sing along with Sister Mary Clarence and the pupils of St. Francis Academy with ease? Am I immature? Or simply happy to retreat from the doom and gloom that is today's society, even just for 90 minutes?

My friends often laugh at me when I quote from a film. "Here you are, my heartstrings...AGGHHH" is a common one. "You guys give up, or you thirsty for more?" is another. When Shrek came into the cinema, I think I laughed harder than any of the kids (the opening scene of Shrek 1 when he farts in his mud bath and a fish floats to the surface is a personal favourite. Come on, you know it made you laugh). As unrealistic as it is, it's hard to beat a happy ending. As if the Mighty Ducks were going to lose in the finals. Or Babe wasn't going to get perfect scores at the sheepdog trials.

 People these days are far too serious. They need to lighten up. Sure, there are hard times, when we are low. Over-worked and under-paid, as they say. Surely such realism is all the more reason to unashamedly indulge in some light-hearted, innocent entertainment?! I have been called a big kid in my time. I can also be mature and well-behaved when I choose to be. Sometimes I am serious, sometimes I act like Bruce Bogtrotter around cake. But after all is said and done, I'm like an onion. I have layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment